Saturday, March 12, 2011

1991-92 Skybox Basketball Highlights: USA

Last week I received the two boxes of 1991-92 Skybox Basketball cards that I ordered off the eBay.  My wife and I had a great time opening 72 packs of cards and sorting through the 12 cards each pack contained. 

After sorting through the cards, I found that I am just four cards away from completing the set (I need cards: 74, 93, 338, 638). 

It was great fun ripping two boxes worth of packs, but I quickly found out that I enjoyed the Series 2 packs much more than Series 1.  Here's why:


I seriously love everything about these cards and I can remember pulling a few of these cards out of packs when I was a kid.  I especially love the Barcelona '92 cards.  Putting together this subset was a great trip down memory lane.

It was also an educational experience because I did not remember that the following cards were also found in packs:

I really like that Skybox didn't just focus on the Dream Team with the USA Basketball cards, but also included some players from prior Olympics.  Very cool sub-set from a fun collection of basketball cards.

I'll be posting some more of the highlights of the 91-92 Skybox set through out the coming weeks. 

Now that I have two Skybox Basketball sets near completion (1990-91 & 1991-92), I'm turning my attention to the 1992-93 Skybox set.  I'm having so much fun busting these boxes that I'll probably keep working my way up the Skybox ladder.  The boxes are getting more expensive as I move later in the 90s, so my progress at completing sets will slow down considerably, especially as more and more inserts are introduced into the product.

2 comments:

Charles @ Hoopography said...

Hey, great post!!! I'm sure many collectors know about the '92 Dream Team cards (The 3 card team-photo is awesome), but the '84 and '88 cards are really cool. Good Stuff!!!

mikiss_me@yahoo.com said...

I have the same set of cards, got it from my uncle more than 10 years ago. its a cool set of cards. how much does it worth today?