Sunday, August 21, 2011

Club Champion

Yesterday was the golf course's Club Championship, which I've been looking forward to for months.  Its the first one I've been able to play in for a half-dozen years for numerous reasons.  It did not disappoint.

The event is relatively laid back as the organizers allow people who are in different flights play together to ensure everyone has a cart to ride in.  I shared a cart with my Dad and here is our score card for the day.

The highlights of my round were draining a 30-foot birdie putt on hole 3 to start the day and my back-nine holes.  I ended the front side with triple bogie, bogie, double bogie, and I was not a happy golfer at that point.  Luckily I pulled my head out of my ass and threw together a two-under backside.

I also enjoyed being able to play the round with my Dad.  I usually play really well when I'm golfing with him and yesterday was no exception.  As for Dad's score, his 87 was one of his best rounds in the past couple of years.  He said he thought he posted a 105 in last year's tournament, so he improved by nearly 20 strokes. 

The fact that I played so well on the back-nine actually won me the low-gross portion of the tournament which is the title that I wanted to win.  One other player came in with a 78 and I beat him on the first hole of the score-card playoff. 

Winning the Club Championship was the icing on the cake of this summer of great golf.  I have one last tournament scheduled before the year ends as I'll be hosting a Skins Game tournament at the course for my 30th birthday in September.  It should be a ton of fun, but I doubt there is any way it is as satisfying as winning yesterday's tournament was for me as a golfer. 

Now it's time to start practicing so I can defend my title in next year's event.

No comments: