Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fave Five -- 1981 Topps


I picked up a nearly complete set of 1981 Topps base cards this past week and I thought a Fave Five was in order.

FIVE -- A boxer, a basketballer, and a singer


FOUR -- Spectacles


THREE -- Coloradoans

TWO -- Royals


ONE -- Mustaches



I bought the lot of cards for a couple of reasons.  First, 1981 was a great year for mustaches, as you can see in the above scans.  I filled in a handful of gaps in my Mustache Set with some 1981 cards.  Second, I was born in 1981 and I'd really like to have the complete base set to commemorate my birth year.  I've added the missing cards to my Want List and would love to make some trades to complete the set.  Finally, I picked up the lot on the cheap, which is always a bonus.

5 comments:

Napkin Doon said...

Very cool Eric! The 81 set kinda grows on you the more you look at it.

moremonkeys138 said...

The hat set! Those 'staches are fantastic! I have an '80 Mike Tyson that I found and had to absolutely have, I think I'll have to pick up the 81 too.

Spiegel83 said...

The 1981 set is one of my favorites. I am also trying to pick up some cards from this set. Please check out my want list and if you have any dupes for trade, please let me know. Thanks!

thosebackpages said...

Great Set, very under appreciated 30 years after being released.

As someone that is a fan of graded cards, i cannot state how difficult this set is to get in 10 holders.

True Ffact, to this day there are still cards in this set that have never received a PSA 10

Erik said...

Check out Benny Ayala #101 for your mustache quest. Nothing crazy but as good as Eckersley and Newman in the 1981 set.