Monday, August 22, 2011

Talked Down from the Proverbial Ledge by Yellow Bubble Mailers

Today was my first day of school with kids and it did not go well, to say the least.  Not to bore you with the details but suffice to say that everything that probably could have gone wrong seemed to have.  I left the school tired and depressed and not looking forward to tomorrow.

My spirits were lifted greatly when I was greeted to three bubble mailers and one box of cards waiting for me in my mailbox.  I doubt I'll have time to scan the cards until later this week when I get my teaching sea legs underneath me, but I just wanted to thank Dennis of Too Many Grandersons and Robert of $30 A Week Habit for their trade packages as they are top notch.  I was even happy to see the Rich Hill auto/patch card I bought to send to Dennis for our trade.  It is a real beauty and I'm half tempted to scan it myself to show off before Dennis can, but I definitely don't have that kind of time to steal his thunder.  A pair of Murad T51 cards rounded out the packages.

It's crazy how simple pieces of cardboard and a few manufactured patches can really do wonders to improve the psyche and mental health of this teacher.  I promise not to constantly bore you with my sorrows as I reenter the teaching profession (in fact, I plan on this being the last time I mention my job on this blog) but I wanted to give credit where credit is due while I had a spare moment.

Now, I'm off to cook dinner for my gorgeous wife, which will be followed by some episodes of Dexter: Season 5, which she picked up today on her lunch break.  If fresh cardboard, a few MGDs, and exploits of a serial killer can't improve my mood, I doubt that anything will.

9 comments:

Dennis said...

Wait a minute--your terrible day was made better by cardboard images of men with facial hair? Should you be around kids right now?

Thanks again for nabbing me that Hill, it does look ridiculous and I can't wait to show it off.

Napkin Doon said...

We just started season 5 of Dexter too. Great show! Don't get any ideas though...

Robert said...

Eric, I was glad we were able to work out a trade. I look forward to more trades hopefully in the future. Just remember, Day 1's are always crappy, everything else now is all downhill.

SpastikMooss said...

lol @ dennis...he is very on today!

And my first day (of observing this semester - next semester I student teach and then the real thing) is tomorrow. A very disproportional number of bloggers are teachers and many mention it a lot, so I'm sure it'll come up again in your blog too but I'm sure we won't mind. I do wonder why teachers are such natural card collectors though. Gotta be something there,

Wrigley Wax said...

Hang in there! The first day of school never goes as planned, unless you just plan for chaos and the unexpected. Soon enough you'll settle into a routine and all will be well. But it is nice to have some cardboard as a pick-me-up.

School in Michigan doesn't start for two more weeks; state law says classes can't start until after Labor Day. Maybe I should plan to buy some stuff next week so it will be in my mailbox on Sept. 6.

Wes Moore the former JBF said...

Eric-all is well my friend. You scored Josh Howard's Auto this week. That in itself should be a pick me up lol.

night owl said...

I think your problem is you're teaching in August. It's still summer vacation out here!!!

Ryan G said...

The first day of school usually went well for me - it was the next month or so afterwards that was tough. Maybe you'll get it out of the way early!

Just relax, don't dwell on it, and come up with a plan for a better day tomorrow.

I wish I was in the classroom today. Funny - I still have dreams about being in the classroom (sometimes nightmares), even though I last taught in May 2010. What's up with that?

Jeff Laws said...

My wife gets mad at me because I get cards in the mail, and she gets the bills.

She says it's not fair, but I like it.