Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Magic of Skybox

After sorting out all the cards that I got by ripping packs of 1991-92 Skybox basketball cards, I found this nifty little subset of cards which they called "The Magic of Skybox".

The front of the cards are a typical representation of the 1991-92 Skybox set.  The white cardstock has a picture of a player (and occasionally an opponent of said player), a glowing basketball, and some wacky shapes and designs floating behind the player in colors that only the early-90s could love.


Then, when you flip the card over, you discover the "Magic of Skybox" when you see what the original photo looked like before it was Skybox-ified.


I don't know if I'd consider it "magic", but I do think it's a neat little eight-card set at the back end of the 91-92 collection. 

It is also fitting that they used a few cards to show what their cards would look like with a full photo because Skybox abandoned the photoshopping the next year.

3 comments:

Spiegel83 said...

I loved that Skybox set as a kid. Awesome design.

flywheels said...

That year was my favorite year of Skybox. I loved the white non-bordered backs...even if they could glow in the dark w/ all those crazy neon colors! I've got a ton of this stuff if you happen to need anything out of it.

Kirk Jacobson said...

So, the Magic of Skybox is PHOTOSHOP, who knew?