Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Wife's Favorite Autograph

As the old saying goes, behind every trading card collector there is an understanding wife, or something like that.  And my wife is VERY understanding.  She is supportive of me and my endless list of interests and hobbies. 

As for my trading card addiction hobby, my wife enjoys helping me bust open packs of cards and looks interested every time I show her a newly acquired card, especially when the card in question has an autograph.  But she's not interested in these autograph cards in the same way most collectors are.

For instance, take this recently acquired 2008 Upper Deck Ballpark Collections Luke Hochevar autograph card.

When I see a card like this, I focus on the front of the card.  How is the design?  (Kind of busy, but nice.)  How is the autograph?  (On a sticker, but, again, nice.)  Etc.

My wife, on the other hand, gives the front of the card a fleeting glance and then immediately flips the card over and checks out the back.

What could possibly be on the back of the card that is more interesting to her than the autograph of my favorite baseball player on the front?  This.

My wife is fascinated with looking for the autograph of Richard P. McWilliam, the CEO of Upper Deck.  She finds it interesting that his signature can be found on (as far as I know) every Upper Deck autograph card.  Whenever I show her an autographed card that doesn't include the John Hancock of Mr. McWilliams, I see a glimmer of disappointment flash across her face.

What can I say, other than I'm so very happy that she has ANY interest in my hobby, even if it comes from the signature of a CEO of a card company. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I should put meeting Richard P. McWilliam on my bucket list. ;)