Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Busy Start to Summer

And there are no signs of it slowing down.

On Thursday and Friday, the wife and I spent time with my family celebrating my sister's wedding.  There was food, drinks, and dancing, and a good time was had by all.

Then, while my wife was studying for her bar exam today, I spent my day at the track watching some of my friends and family drag race.  I'm not much of a gear-head, in fact, I'm probably the least mechanically inclined person in my family, but I love going to the track and watching everyone compete.

My cousin Kyle drives a dragster (that's him in the picture below).

Sadly, his car broke on his first time-trial of the day.  Here is a picture of what was left of his drive shaft after the run.


After he launched off the starting line, he felt the back end lock up once he hit second gear.  His best guess is that the back end seized up which caused the drive shaft to sheer off at the weld.

Even thought Kyle's day was done, the day was not a bust because Kyle's brother-in-law (my cousin-in-law?) Josh has recently started drag racing.  He'd spent the past couple of years being Kyle's pit crew and decided it was finally time to get behind the wheel of his own car.  He's currently driving a roadster.

(This is the only picture of the car Josh has on his facebook page.   Imagine it with a large engine and flying down the drag strip.)

Josh lost his first run in competition after he broke out of his time by 1/100th of a second.  He bought back in, won his second round, and then fell asleep at the starting line (figuratively speaking, not literally.  I don't want people thinking he's narcoleptic) on his third run of the day which caused him to be knocked out of the competition.  It was fun to watch Josh gain experience on the track today.

Best of all, Kyle and Josh let me take the dragster for a spin before we loaded it into the trailer.  And by "spin" I mean I let it idle in second gear while I drove it in a circle in the parking lot.  It may have been a bit of a pussy move, but I didn't want to be responsible for another car getting broken today.

Kyle took a video on his phone of me behind the wheel but I can't figure out how to get it to embed.  I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

It was also a successful day at the track because my friend Mark raced his way to a 1st place finish in the Pro division. 


And two other racers from my hometown won 1st place in their division.

It was a great day at the track and a great way to cap off a busy first week of summer.

P.S.  My wife's computer is back in service, so I once again have access to the scanner, which will come in handy when one of my White Whales arrives in the mail this week.  I can't wait to show off one of my biggest gets in a long time.

No comments: