Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fave Five -- Manupatches

I currently own 32 manupatch cards and my blog has Manupatches in the title, so I figured it would be fitting for my first Fave Five post about cards I actually own to be about Manupatch cards.  Of my 32 manupatches, eight are team logo cards and the rest are autographed letter cards.

Before I show off my Fave Five, let me first show my least favorite manupatch card.

I am one of the most pro-manupatch collectors around and even I shutter when I look at this card.  A sticker autograph (as if that squiggle could actually be classified as an autograph)?  For the reals?  It's as if the designers of this card were trying to cram as many collector annoyances onto one card as humanly possible.  Manupatch, sticker autograph, tiny picture, tiny writing, and odd serial numbering (#'d 05/19).  Check, check, check, check, and check mate!

Luckily for me, all of these factors worked in my favor as I added it to my collection for super cheap.

Now, on to the fun.

Fave Five -- 2008 Razor Letterman Rashun Dixon (#'d 4/5)

This card made the Fave Five because it is, to the best of my knowledge, my lowest numbered manupatch.  (Hey, it's my list so I can use even the dumbest reasons for a card's inclusion.  And believe me, there will be some doozies.)

Fave Four -- 2007 SP Authentic Curtis Thigpen (58/75)

I like the E's blue border.

Fave Three -- 2008 SP Authentic Edwin Encarnacion (32/50)

This is easily the coolest manupatch letter in my collection.  I love the script C.  I love the black shadowing on the C.  I love the stitching on the C.  Even the biggest anti-manupatch collector has to admit this card looks cool.

Fave Two -- 2010 Topps Series 2 David DeJesus Cap Logo (31/99)

I'm a big fan of the 4th of July cap logos.  I mentioned before that I was at the KC Royals 4th of July game that inspired these manupatches, which adds sentimental value to this card for me.

Fave One -- 2009 Topps Finest Dexter Fowler (almost) Nameplate
(128/218, 61/75, 20/218, 50/218, and 22/218 respectively)


I know it's kind of cheating, but I had to include all of these manupatches in the number one spot because they are the reason I began my foray into manupatch collecting. 

My manupatch collection is still in its infancy, but it is one of my favorite collections.  I am enjoying that it is morphing in multiple directions, including my Alphabet Set, my Team Logo sets (both MLB and NBA), and my multiple nameplates.  The possibilities for these sets is almost endless, which is what collecting is all about for me.

5 comments:

Ryan G said...

I need to spend a bit more time poking around your site because I didn't know you were going after an alphabet and team logo patch collection. I love the idea of an alphabet and I might have to steal that idea, maybe the team logos too! Someday I'll have to put together a full nameplate like your Fowler set. Interesting how four of your favorite five are autographed letters. I like the C but to me they're just letters - logos interest me more, like the ones Upper Deck put in Sweet Spot a few years ago.

Dennis said...

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/detail.tpl?set=63417&seq=1175&cval=1&seller=pkerplyr Make him an offer he can't refuse! Great collection, too.

Cheap Card Collecting said...

awesome! I actually love the letters and look forward to future posts!

Wes Moore the former JBF said...

Great stuff as always! Love the Fowlers. I'm thinking about starting a plate for my username.

Offy said...

Cool stuff. I need to take a picture of my two manu-letter collections so that you can see them. I've got Kent Hrbek's last name (because first names are pointless in something like this) and a U-less "Hug It Out" in honor of Jeremy Piven. I think they're both from the same Icons set. I'd chase an "Evans" for Dwight Evans in a heartbeat, but nobody has done one yet.

Do you have any of the jersey shaped patches that Topps has embedded into cards? I know there are some Red Sox World Series ones and some All-Star ones. Those are pretty cool looking and also affordable from what I've seen.