Sunday, February 20, 2011

1990s NBA Nickname All-Stars

I always wanted a nickname and never had one.  While there was a period of high school when one of my teachers referred to me as "Thunder" (because, like a clap of thunder, I was loud but caused little damage), but the name never really caught on.  I imagine a nickname needs to be adopted early if it is going to be effective.

So, in honor of today's NBA All-Star game, I present my favorite basketball player nicknames, in reverse alphabetical order.

   Zo   
   X-Man   
   The Worm  
   The Waiter     
   Vinsanity   
   Thunder   
   Spud   
   Run T.M.C.       
   The Round Mound of Rebound      
   Reign Man   
   Penny  
   Nasty  
   Muggsy   
   The Mailman       
   Magic   
   The Jet   

   The Hoya Destroya     
   The Hick from French Lick   
   Grandmama   
   The Glove    
   The Dream   
   Diesel   
   The Chief   
   The Big Ticket   
   Big Dog   
   Big Country   
   The Answer   
   Air   
   The Admiral    
Looking at the above list of nicknames, my favorite three are "The Glove," "Thunder Dan," and "The Round Mound of Rebound".  IMHO, anytime you can work a prepositional phrase into a nickname, you've reached the next level.

Did I miss any of your favorites?  What NBA player has your favorite nickname?

3 comments:

Charles @ Hoopography said...

I love "RUN D.M.C"!!!

Toni Kukoc was also called "The Pink Panther"

Great post!!!

flywheels said...

I love that 4 Charlotte Hornets made the list!

hiflew said...

You forgot my favorite of all time.

"Monster Mash"