Sunday, February 20, 2011

Getting Back to My Roots: Building a Set Via Trade and Packs

For my entire collecting life I've been a player collector who has never built a set.  I'd like to change that.

Last summer I put together most of the 2010 Topps T206 baseball set after opening three boxes, but I ran out of steam and am still 50+ cards away from completing it.  I'd like to eventually complete that set, but the problem lies in my lack of interest in it right now.

When I was sorting through my basketball cards to find representatives for my All-Star Nickname post, I kept noticing how great the 1990 Skybox cards looked. 

"Flame" basketball + gold boarder + blocky colorful background = 1990 Skybox

Twenty-one years after their release and they are still visually appealing to me.  I love the gold boarders.  I love the simple black bar with the player's name and team logo along the bottom of the card.  I love that the bold colors in the background are very typically 90s in style, but don't feel dated to me (as the 1991 Skybox cards do).  Even the backs of the cards are interestingly simple.

So, I figure if I like looking at these cards enough to go back through my basketball-card shoebox to pull them out, I'll like these cards long enough to try to collect the whole set.

My goal is to build this entire set by trade and by buying packs, like I did when I was a kid.  I am interested in getting back to my collecting roots and this seems like the best way to do it.  With this set, I won't be distracted by inserts, parallels, or "hits".  I'll be able to slow down and appreciate each card and how important it is to the set.

Therefore, if anyone has some 1990 Skybox basketball cards they would like to trade away, email me and I'll let you know what I can send back your way. 

Right now, I have about 10% of the entire set, which means it wouldn't be very effective to list out which cards I need.  If you have 1990 Skybox basketball cards, the odds are I'll need them.  I will be listing out my progress toward completing the set on the "My Personal Collection" tab above. 

Also, if you're going to be scouring your basketball cards for Skybox cards, might as well pull out any 1991 Skybox you find because I'll eventually be attempting to build that set as well. 

3 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

I'm your huckleberry...

what do you want? singles? packs? boxes?

shoot me an email, we'll swap.

Derek Hill said...

I've got some of these I can dig out for you too

Eric L said...

Thanks fellas. I just sent you emails.